**Update: Due to no RSVPs or enrollment, this party has now been canceled.**
Holiday Card Making and Bead Soup Ornament Exchange
Hello, Sparkle Squad.
I’m planning my first Christmas party for beading enthusiasts here in El Paso on December 20, 2017 from 6:00 – 8:00 PM at the Whole Foods Market. It’s going to be a mix of holiday card making and an ornament exchange containing bead soup. I’d like to invite my previous Sparkly Students as well as local jewelry makers that are interested in swapping some of their old, yet beloved bead stash while making a greeting card. Event registration here. (RSVP is required to attend).
Bead Soup Ornament Exchange Rules:
- Each guest must bring a regular sized unwrapped clear ornament full of items from your bead stash such as beads (sizes 6mm-12mm are best), interesting clasps or findings, and maybe even a few vintage buttons. (A plastic ornament is preferable so it won’t break under the weight of beads).
- Please ensure whatever beads and findings you contribute from your stash are worthy of fellow beading enthusiasts that are also sharing their beautiful baubles. This does not indicate a value per bead, but suggests to contribute things that would be interesting and not damaged. (No broken beads, bent findings, mismatched pairs of ear wires or an ornament full of only small seed beads).
- The value of each bead soup’s content will vary based on the nature of this mutual swap. Some people may wish to contribute specialized beads mixed with their regular stash, such as a pendant or focal bead, a handmade bead, a lampwork bead, a holiday-themed bead, etc. Other people may simply offer regular stash items which most recipients possibly haven’t seen before (especially if they shop online, go to nationwide bead trading shows, etc.). The key is the element of excitement, surprise, and giving. Let’s make it fun!
- The ornaments will be numbered in the order received and placed on a table to be salivated over while we create a holiday card.
- The guest turning in their ornament will also receive a number based on their arrival (early birds will be happy birds) which will correspond to their ornament. (1st ornament turned in is #1, the guest will get a tag with #1 as well).
- Towards the end of the card making festivities, guests will be called in order of the number on their tag to peruse the ornaments and select 1 ornament from those available.
- After all the guests have selected their bead soup ornament, further exchanges can be made between beaders based on their “peaceful” (after all it is Christmas- lol) mutual agreement.
- No money will be exchanged for beads or ornaments in this event.
Whole Foods Market (west El Paso)
100 Pitt Street, El Paso, TX 79912
TBA, but I’m assuming the tables will probably be upstairs or in the Thunderbird Taproom.
(Outside food and beverages are not allowed into the store, but they do offer a wide variety of drinks and food items via the Thunderbird Taproom (beer/wine), coffee/juice bar and a prepared foods department where you can enjoy soups, salads and ready to eat meals).
Fee & Registration Requirements
For those that do not wish to make a greeting card or plan to bring their own card making supplies, there is no fee. I will, however, charge a small $5.00 fee in order to offer cardmaking supply kits per the RSVPs and provide some light snacks such as cookies, candy, and mixed nuts.
Please be sure to respond via the ticket link information in the event registration listing here at my website so that I can get an accurate estimate of ornament tags, card making kits and snacks needed.
In order to ensure that I will have enough cardmaking supplies and snacks, I need everyone to submit their RSVP no later than Friday, December 15th.
Card Making Supply Kit Example:
- Holiday stickers
- Twine/ Ribbon
- Washi Tape/ Foil Tape/ Fabric Tape
- Holiday Patterned Paper/ Solid Paper
- 5×7 Greeting Card Base
- Pre-punched Holiday Shapes
- Pre-stamped Holiday Sentiments
- Flatback Embellishments
- Jingle Bells
Project Kit Tools Available:
- Adhesive/ Glue Stick
- Scissors/ Craft Edge Scissors
- Glitter Pens/ Markers
- Paper Punches
- Paper Trimmer
- Baby Wipes
- Stamping Ink Pads (Red, Green and Black)